CU loop Intrauterine device:
What CU loop is used for:
It is an intrauterine device made of polyethylene and wound with copper wire with a silver core. The surface area of the copper is 380 mm2. The polyethylene body, shaped as a modified T is impregnated with barium sulphate. Removal threads, pigmented with iron oxide are attached to the base of the vertical arm of the T.
Copper IUDs prevent pregnancy by preventing fertilization
Do not use it in cases of:
• Known or suspected pregnancy;
• current or recurrent pelvic inflammatory disease;
• lower genital tract infection;
• postpartum endometritis;
• Infected abortion during the past three months;
• Untreated cervicitis;
• Untreated cervical dysplasia;
• Untreated uterine or cervical malignancy;
• Undiagnosed abnormal uterine bleeding;
• Congenital or acquired uterine anomaly including fibroids if they distort the uterine cavity;
• Copper allergy;
• Wilson’s disease;
• Coagulation disturbances;
• Conditions associated with increased susceptibility to infections.
Warnings and precautions:
• may increase menstrual blood loss and dysmenorrhea. it may not be the method of first choice for women with excessive menstrual bleeding, anemia, dysmenorrhea, or for women receiving anticoagulants. If these conditions develop during the use, removal of the device should be considered.
• may be used with caution in women who have congenital heart disease or valvular heart disease at risk of infective endocarditis. Antibiotic prophylaxis should be administered to these patients when inserting or removing the intrauterine device.
• it is not the method of first choice for young nulligravid women. In this group, the pregnancy rates and removal rates for expulsion, bleeding and/ or pain, and for infection have been reported higher than in other users.
Possible side effects
Stop using the product and seek immediate medical attention if you develop throat tightness or swelling of the eyes, face, lips or tongue, feel faint, or have difficulty breathing. Stop using the product if you develop hives or itching of the face or body.
Other medicines and CU loop:
The limited available experience with it indicates that medicine effects interfering with its contraceptive efficacy are unlikely.
How to use CU loop:
is supplied sterile, sterilized by irradiation. It is for single use only. Do not use if the pouch is damaged or open. Do not resterilize. Use before the date shown on the pouch label. To be inserted by a qualified healthcare professional.
It is inserted into the uterine cavity. It is effective for five years.
How to store CU loop:
Store below 30 °C. Protect from direct sunlight and moisture. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN A valid prescription should be available upon delivery