Nizatidine 150 mg Capsules, Hard
What Nizatidine is used for:
Nizatidine belongs to a group of medicines called H2-receptor antagonists (anti-ulcer medicines), which reduce the amount of acid in your stomach.
This medicine is used to:
• heal and stop ulcers in the stomach, or the part where it empties into the small intestine
• heal and stop problems caused by acid in the gullet (esophagus) or too much acid in the stomach. This can cause pain or discomfort known as indigestion, acid reflux or heartburn
• prevent ulcers which may be caused by NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) treatment i.e. ibuprofen, diclofenac -often used to treat arthritis
• stop these ulcers from coming back.
Do not take Nizatidine:
• if you are allergic to nizatidine or any of the other ingredients of this medicine
• if you have taken a similar anti-ulcer medicine before and you suffered an unusual or allergic reaction. An allergic reaction may include rash, itching, difficulty breathing or swelling of the face, lips, throat or tongue.
Warnings and precautions:
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking Nizatidine:
• if you have liver or kidney problems.
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. If you notice any of these while taking this medicine, stop taking this medicine and see your doctor straight away or go to your nearest hospital emergency department immediately:
• any kind of skin rash or 'hives' (small itchy spots), boils or sore lips, swelling of the face, lips, tongue, throat or other parts of the body, fever, sudden wheezing and coughing, uttering or tightness of the chest, chest pain, feeling faint and difficulty breathing due to an allergic reaction
• yellowing of the whites of the eyes or skin, dark urine, pale colored bowel movements, itching due to problems with your liver
• bruising more easily, bleeding, particularly of the mouth and nose, or bruising under the skin. In severe cases, blood in the urine or feces and headaches due to low platelets in your blood
• frequent infections such as fever, severe chills, sore throat or mouth ulcers due to lack of white blood cells
These side effects are rare but serious. You may need medical attention. Other possible side effects include: sweating and sleepiness
Other medicines and Nizatidine:
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking, have recently taken or might take any other medicines. This includes medicines obtained without a prescription.
• a medicine called a salicylate (i.e. aspirin), normally used to relieve minor aches and pains.
How to take Nizatidine:
Adults (including older people)
• For stomach or duodenal ulcers: The recommended dose is 150 mg in the morning and 150 mg in the evening or 300 mg taken as a single dose in the evening for 4 weeks. If your ulcer has not fully healed after 4 weeks, your doctor will treat you for a further 4 weeks. If you are also taking a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID), the recommended dose is the same as above.
• To treat indigestion, acid reflux, heartburn: The recommended dose is 150 mg to 300 mg taken twice a day for up to 12 weeks.
• To prevent ulcers coming back: The recommended dose is 150 mg taken in the evening.
• Patients with kidney problems: Your doctor may change the dose. If you have kidney problems, your doctor may prescribe a lower or less frequent dose.
• It is important that you keep taking the medicine until you finish the full course of treatment.
Use in children and adolescents: Nizatidine should not be given to children or adolescents.
How to store Nizatidine:
• Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children.
• Do not store above 25°C.
• Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on the carton or container after 'EXP'. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
• Do not throw away any medicines via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to throw away medicines you no longer use. These measures will help protect the environment.
A valid prescription should be available upon delivery