What Hydrochlorothiazide is used for
Hydrochlorothiazide is used:
• To treat high blood pressure (hypertension)
• To treat water retention (edema) in your body.
Do not take Hydrochlorothiazide
• If you’re allergic to the active substances or any other component of this medicine.
• If you are unable to pass urine (anuria).
• If you are taking Lithium.
Warnings and precautions
Talk to your doctor about all your medical conditions before taking this medicine including:
• If you are allergic to sulfonamide antibiotics or sulfonylureas.
• If you have kidney problems.
• If you have liver problems.
• If you have heart problems.
• If you have diabetes.
• If you have a low blood pressure.
• If you are dehydrated.
• If you have abnormal electrolyte levels in your blood.
• If you have glaucoma.
• If you have gout.
• If you have an autoimmune disease called systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE).
Possible side effects
Stop using this product and seek immediate medical help if you develop rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Serious side effects:
• Kidney problems
• Eye problems
• Serious electrolyte problems
Other medicines and Hydrochlorothiazide
Tell your doctor about all the medicines you are taking.
Hydrochlorothiazide interacts with the following medicines:
• Other medicines used to lower blood pressure
• Medicines that affect potassium levels in your blood
• Medicines used for diabetes
• Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
• Chlestyramine and Cholestipol (for cholesterol)
How to take Hydrochlorothiazide
• This medicine is intended for adults.
• Take as indicated by your doctor.
• If you are taking this medicine once daily, take it in the morning.
• For water retention: the usual starting dose is 25 - 100 mg daily in 1 to 2 divided doses. Your doctor will adjust the dose for you based on your response (maximum 200 mg/day).
• For high blood pressure: the usual dosing is 12.5 - 25 mg once daily (maximum 50 mg/day).
How to store Hydrochlorothiazide
• Store at room temperature 68 to 77°F (20 to 25°C).
• Protect from sunlight.
• Keep this medicine out of reach of children.
• Do not use this medicine after the expiry date stated on the package. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.