What Clarithromycin is used for
Clarithromycin is used to treat or prevent infections caused by bacteria susceptible to this medicine’s action.
Do not take Clarithromycin
· If you’re allergic to Clarithromycin, Erythromycin, any macrolide antibiotic, or any other component of this medicine.
· If you are taking any of the following medicines: Cisapride, Pimozide, Astemizole, Terfenadine, Ergotamine or Dihydroergotamine, Lomitapide, Simvastatin or Lovastatin.
· If you are taking the medicine Colchicine and have kidney or liver disease.
· If you have heart a rhythm problem called “long QT syndrome” or if you are taking medications that cause this condition.
Warnings and precautions
Talk to your doctor about all your medical conditions before taking this drug including:
· If you have liver and/or kidney disease.
· If you have any heart problems.
· If you have low levels of potassium of magnesium.
Long term use of this medicine increases the risk of developing secondary infections.
This medicine may worsen your Myasthenia Gravis symptoms.
Do not take this medicine if you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
Possible side effects
Stop using this product and seek immediate medical help if you develop rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Common side effects:
· Abdominal pain
· Abnormal taste
· Increased liver enzymes
· Rash (children)
Other medicines and Clarithromycin
Tell your doctor about all the medicines you are taking.
How to take Clarithromycin
· Take this medicine as indicated by your doctor.
· The dosing may depend on the site and severity of your infection.
· The usual dosing is 500 mg every 12 hours. This is equivalent to 1g of extended release tablet once daily.
· In children, the dosing is calculated based on the child’s body weight in mg/kg/day. The usual dose is 15-20 mg/kg/day.
How to store Clarithromycin
· Store at room temperature 68 to 77°F (20 to 25°C).
· Protect from light.
· For liquid medication, throw away remaining part after 2 weeks.
· Keep this medicine out of reach of children.
· Do not use this medicine after the expiry date stated on the package. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.