Cetirizine tablet 5 mg, 10 mg
What Cetirizine is and what it is used for
Cetirizine belongs to a group of drugs called antihistamines.These medicines help to relieve the symptoms of some allergies.This medicine is used to relieve:
• symptoms of hayfever and other allergies such as sneezing, runny nose and burning, itchy eyes
• symptoms of skin allergies such as rash, itching or urticaria (hives).
What you need to know before you use Cetirizine
Do not use Cetirizine
Do not use this medicine if :
• You are allergic (hypersensitive) to cetirizine hydrochloride or any of the other ingredients of this medicine
• You have serious kidney problems
• You have lactose intolerance
Warnings and precautions
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking this medicine if you:
• Have renal problem
• Have epilepsy or are at risk of convulsions.
• Have predisposition factor of urinary retention (e.g. spinal cord lesion or prostatic hyperplasia) as cetirizine increases the risk of urinary retention.
• Avoid alcoholic drink while you are taking this medicine
Other medicines and Cetirizine
Cetirizine is not expected to interact with other medicines
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking, have recently taken or might take any other medicines
How to use Cetirizine
• Cetirizine is for oral use
• Adults and children above 12 years old: 5-10 mg daily, depending on the severity of the symptoms
• Children between 2 and 12 years old: 2.5-5 mg daily, depending on the severity of the symptoms
• Your doctor will adapt the dose if you have renal impairment
• The duration of treatment depends on the type, duration and course of your complaints. Please ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
• Do not use this medicine if you are pregnant or if you are breast-feeding
Possible side effects
The following side effects are rare or very rare, but you must stop taking the medicine and speak to your doctor straight away if you notice them:
Allergic reactions, including severe reactions and angioedema (serious allergic reaction which causes swelling of the face or throat). These reactions may start soon after you first take the medicine, or it might start later.
How to store Cetirizine
• Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children.
• Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on the box and blister. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
• This medicine does not require any special storage conditions.
A valid prescription should be available upon delivery