Levetiracetam 500 mg tablets
What is Levetiracetam used for :
Levetiracetam is a medication that is used as adjuvant therapy to treat multiple types of seizures (abnormal electrical conductions in the brain) in children and adults.
Do not take Levetiracetam :
If you are allergic to Levetiracetam or any of the ingredients in this medicine. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
Warnings and Precautions :
• Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you develop allergic reactions such as shortness of breath, skin rash, swelling of the face or neck, decreased blood pressure and dizziness.
• Do not stop your medication without consulting your doctor. Abrupt discontinuation of this medication may worsen your convulsions. Dose should be gradually decreased.
• Contact your doctor if you experience unusual changes in behavior or mood, appearance or worsening of depression, suicidal thoughts, excessive drowsiness or fatigue and weakness.
• Contact your doctor if you experience liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
• This medication may cause blood problems such as neutropenia (low neutrophil count, neutrophils are responsible for fighting infections caused by bacteria), decrease in red blood cells and hemoglobin (responsible for transporting oxygen to body tissues) and other blood problems. Make sure to monitor for signs of infection, fever and looking pale.
Possible side effects of Levetiracetam :
Possible side effects of Levetiracetam include: allergic reaction, mood or behavioral changes, drowsiness, weakness, tiredness, problems with muscle movements, dizziness, and infections. Additional side effects that can be seen in children include: irritability, hostility and accidental injury.
Other medicines and Levetiracetam :
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking, have recently taken or might take any other medications.
How to take Levetiracetam :
Adults and children:
Recommended dose is individualized based on age and indication. The medication is usually taken twice a day. Take as directed by your doctor.
• Take tablets with or without food.
• Take tablet with a full glass of water.
• Do not chew or crush tablets.
• If you were prescribed the oral solution, make sure to ask your pharmacist for a medicine dropper to help you measure your dose. Do not use a household teaspoon.
How to store Levetiracetam :
• Store at 15 to 30°C
• Keep out of the reach of children and pets
• Do not use beyond the expiry date mentioned on the box
• Keep medication in its original pack to protect it from moisture
• Do not use damaged pills
• Do not dispose pills in the wastewater or household waste.