Eprosartan plus Hydrochlorothiazide tablets 600/12.5 mg
What Eprosartan plus Hydrochlorothiazide is and what it is used for:
This medicine contains two active ingredients:
· Eprosartan belongs to a group of medicines called angiotensin-II receptor antagonists. Eprosartan works by blocking the action of a substance called angiotensin-II, helping to relax the blood vessels and lower your blood pressure.
· Hydrochlorothiazide belongs to a group of medicines known as diuretics, or water (fluid) tablets. It works by making your kidneys pass more water and salt. This helps reduce high blood pressure and some forms of swelling.
This medicine is used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension)
What you need to know before you use Eprosartan plus Hydrochlorothiazide:
Do not take Eprosartan plus Hydrochlorothiazide
· If you are allergic (hypersensitive) to Eprosartan or Hydrochlorothiazide or any of the other ingredients in these tablets
· If you are allergic to any medicine containing sulfonamides
· If you are more than 3 months pregnant. (It is also better to avoid Eprosartan plus Hydrochlorothiazide in early pregnancy)
· If you have severe liver problems
· If you have damaged blood flow to the kidneys or serious constrictions in a single functioning kidney
· If you have diabetes or impaired kidney function and you are treated with a blood pressure lowering medicine containing aliskiren
Warnings and precautions:
You should let your doctor know:
· if you think that you are (or might become) pregnant. Eprosartan plus Hydrochlorothiazide is not recommended in early pregnancy and must not be taken if you are more than 3 months pregnant, as it may cause serious harm to your baby if used at that stage
· if you are dehydrated or have low salt levels (because you are on a low salt diet, are taking water tablets or you have, or have had, diarrhoea or vomiting). These conditions should be corrected before you start taking Eprosartan plus Hydrochlorothiazide
· if you know you have raised potassium levels in your blood
· if you suffer from heart disease e.g. heart valve disease, an enlarged heart or weakness of the heart muscle (heart failure)
· if you have severe kidney problems, have had a kidney transplant or need dialysis
· if you have narrowing or a blockage of the blood vessels leading to your kidney(s)
· if you have any other liver problems
· if you have gout
· if you have a condition affecting your adrenal gland (hyperaldosteronism)
· if you are of Afro-Caribbean origin, as Eprosartan plus Hydrochlorothiazide may be less effective in lowering blood pressure
· if you are taking any of the following medicines used to treat high blood pressure:
- an ACE-inhibitor (for example enalapril, lisinopril, ramipril), in particular if you have diabetesrelated kidney problems
Other medicines and Eprosartan plus Hydrochlorothiazide:
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking, have recently taken or might take any other medicines.
This includes medicines obtained without a prescription, or the following:
· other high blood pressure medicines, especially ACE inhibitors, medicines that contain aliskiren, or diuretics (water or (fluid tablets)
· medicines affecting potassium levels
· non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), medicines used to relive pain, swelling and other symptoms of inflammation
· diabetes medication
· heart medication
· gout medication
· muscle relaxants
· medications used to treat psychiatric conditions, and epilepsy.
· Parkinson's medication
· laxatives, corticosteroids and adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH)
· cancer medication
· calcium and vitamin D supplements
Your doctor may need to change your dose and/or to take other precautions:
· If you are taking an ACE-inhibitor or aliskiren
How to take:
Eprosartan plus Hydrochlorothiazide:
Always take this medicine exactly as your doctor or pharmacist has told you.
Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
Swallow the tablets whole with water once a day, with or without food.
Try to take your tablets at the same time each day.
The recommended dose is one tablet of Eprosartan plus Hydrochlorothiazide once a day.
Use in children and adolescents
Children and adolescents under 18 years should not take Eprosartan plus Hydrochlorothiazide.
Patients with liver or kidney problems
Do not take Eprosartan plus Hydrochlorothiazide if you have severe liver problems
Possible side effects:
Stop using the product and seek immediate medical attention if
· Swelling of the face, lips, tongue or throat which may cause difficulty in breathing or swallowing
How to store Eprosartan plus Hydrochlorothiazide:
· Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children.
· Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on the carton, blister or bottle after EXP. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
· Keep your tablets in a cool dry place where the temperature stays below 25°C.
Do not throw away any medicines via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to throw away medicines you no longer use. These measures will help protect the environment A valid prescription should be available upon delivery