What Olmesartan /hydrochlorothiazide is used for
Olmesartan/hydrochlorothiazide contains two active substances, olmesartan medoxomil and hydrochlorothiazide, that are used to treat high blood pressure:
• Olmesartan medoxomil is one of a group of medicines called angiotensin II-receptor antagonists.
• Hydrochlorothiazide is one of a group of medicines called thiazide diuretics.
Do not take Olmesartan/hydrochlorothiazide:
• if you are allergic to olmesartan medoxomil or hydrochlorothiazide, or any of the other ingredients of this medicine or substances similar to hydrochlorothiazide (sulfonamides)
• if you have severe kidney problems
• if you have diabetes or impaired kidney function and you are treated with a blood pressure lowering medicine containing aliskiren
• if you suffer from low potassium, low sodium, high calcium or high uric acid levels in the blood (with symptoms of gout or kidney stones) that do not get better when treated
• if you suffer from severe liver problems or yellowing of the skin and eyes or problems with drainage of the bile from the gallbladder.
Warnings and precautions
Before you take the tablets, tell your doctor if you have any of the following health problems:
• Mild to moderate kidney problems or if you have had a recent kidney transplant
• Liver diseases
• Heart failure or problems with your heart valves or heart muscles
• Vomiting or diarrhea which is severe or it goes on for several days
• Treatment with high doses of water tablets or if you are on a low salt diet
• Problems with your adrenal glands
• Lupus erythematosus
• Allergies or asthma
• If you have had skin cancer or if you develop an unexpected skin lesion during the treatment.
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. If they do occur, they are often mild and do not require treatment to be stopped. Although not many people may get them, the following two side effects can be serious: allergic reactions that may affect the whole body and drop in the blood pressure.
Other side effects include:
• Dizziness, headache, nausea, indigestion, diarrhea, stomach ache, gastroenteritis, tiredness, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, bronchitis, flu-like symptoms, cough, pain, pain in the chest, back, bones or joints, infection of the urinary tract, swelling of ankles, feet, legs, hands, or arms, blood in the urine.
• Some changes in blood test results.
• Lack of energy, muscle cramps, impaired kidney function, kidney failure.
• Decreased or loss of appetite.
• Swollen and sore salivary glands, bone marrow damage, restlessness, feeling depressed, problems sleeping, apathy, tingling and numbness, convulsions, blurred vision, dry eyes, irregular heartbeat, inflammation of the blood vessels, blood clots, inflammation of the lung, fluid accumulation in the lungs, inflammation of the pancreas, jaundice, infection in the gall bladder.
• Electrolyte disturbance leading to an abnormally depleted level of chloride in the blood.
Other medicines and Olmesartan /hydrochlorothiazide
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are using, have recently used or might use any other medicines. In particular, tell your doctor or pharmacist about any of the following medicines used for:
• Blood pressure
• Blood fat
• psychiatric disorders
• heart problems
• organ transplants.
• Bacterial infections
• fungal infections.
• stomach acid
• food movement in the stomach and gut.
How to take Olmesartan /hydrochlorothiazide
• Always take this medicine exactly as your doctor has told you. Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
• The recommended dose is one Olmesartan/hydrochlorothiazide 20 mg/12.5 mg tablet a day. However, if your blood pressure is not controlled, your doctor may decide to change your dose to one Olmesartan/hydrochlorothiazide 20 mg/25 mg tablet a day.
• Swallow the tablet with water. If possible, you should take your dose at the same time each day, for example at breakfast time. It is important to continue to take Olmesartan/hydrochlorothiazide until your doctor tells you to stop.
How to store Olmesartan /hydrochlorothiazide
• Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children.
• This medicinal product does not require any special storage conditions. Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on the carton and on the blister strip after EXP. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
• Do not throw away any medicines via wastewater or household waste.
* Dosage form and route of administration of Olmesartan medoxomil/hydrochlorothiazide 40 mg/25 mg film-coated tablets should be prescribed according to therapeutic indication and disease severity of each individual patient.