Insulin detemir 100 units/mL Solution for injection in pre-filled pen
What Insulin detemir is used for :
Insulin determir is a modern insulin with a long-acting effect. Modern insulin products are improved versions of human insulin. Insulin determir is used to reduce the high blood sugar level in adults, adolescents and children aged 1 year and above with diabetes mellitus.
Insulin determir can be used with meal-related rapid acting insulin medicines. In treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus, Insulin determir may also be used in combination with tablets for diabetes and/or with injectable anti-diabetic products, other than insulin. Insulin determir has a long and steady blood-sugar-lowering action within 3 to 4 hours after injection. Insulin determir provides up to 24 hours of basal insulin coverage.
Do not use Insulin detemir :
• if you are allergic to insulin detemir or any of the other ingredients of this medicine.
Warnings and Precautions :
Talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse before using Insulin detemir. Be especially aware of the following:
• Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
• High blood sugar (hyperglycemia)
• Switching from another insulin
• Pioglitazone used together with insulin
• Eye disorder
• Skin changes at the injection site
Possible side effects of Insulin detemir :
Insulin detemir can cause serious side effects. These side effects happen only to a small number of people and include:
• Skin changes at the injection site
• Signs of allergic reactions
• Vision problems
• Swollen joints
• Diabetic retinopathy (an eye disease related to diabetes which can lead to loss of vision)
• Painful neuropathy (pain due to nerve damage)
Other medicines and Insulin detemir:
Please tell your doctor, if you are taking, have recently taken or might take any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription. Especially if you take medicines for: birth control, pain, hormonal replacement, diabetes, hypertension, asthma, depression, auto-immune diseases and infection.
How to use Insulin detemir :
• Always use this medicine exactly as your doctor has told you.
• Use Insulin detemir once each day, preferably at the same time every day.
• Insulin detemir is for injection under the skin (subcutaneously). You must never inject yourself directly into a vein (intravenously) or muscle (intramuscularly).
• With each injection, change the injection site within the particular area of skin that you use. This may reduce the risk of developing lumps or skin pitting.
• The best places to give yourself an injection are: the front of your waist (abdomen), the upper arm or the front of your thighs.
• The insulin will work more quickly if injected into the front of your waist. You should always measure your blood sugar regularly.
• Insulin detemir can be used in adolescents and children aged 1 year and above. There is no experience with the use of Insulin detemir in children below the age of 1 year.
How to store Insulin detemir :
• Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children. Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on thepen label and carton, after ‘EXP’. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month. Always keep the pen cap on when you are not using it in order to protect it from light. Insulin detemir must be protected from excessive heat and light.
• Before opening: Insulin detemir pen that is not being used is to be stored in the refrigerator at 2°C to 8°C, away from the cooling element. Do not freeze.
• During use or when carried as a spare: You can carry your Insulin detemir pen with you and keep it at a temperature below 30°C or in a refrigerator (2˚C to 8˚C) for up to 4 weeks. If refrigerated, keep away from the cooling element. Do not freeze.
• Do not throw away any medicines via wastewater or household waste.