What Fluconazole is used for:
Fluconazole is used to treat infections caused by yeast fungi in the genital organs, mouth and throat, urinary tract, skin and nails, and internal infections.
Do not take Fluconazole:
· If you’re allergic to the active substances or any other component of this medicine.
· If you are taking any of the following medications: Astemizole, Terfenadine, Cisapride, Pimozide, Quinidine or Erythromycin.
Warnings and precautions:
Talk to your doctor about all your medical conditions before taking this medicine including:
· If you have liver or kidney problems.
· If you suffer from heart disease, including heart rhythm problems
· If you have abnormal levels of potassium, calcium or magnesium in your blood.
Rarely, this medicine may lead to severe liver problems.
Possible side effects:
Stop using this product and seek immediate medical help if you develop rash; hives; blisters; itching; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Serious side effects:
· Liver damage
· Irregular heartbeats
Very Common side effects:
Other medicines and Fluconazole:
· Tell your doctor about all the medicines you are taking.
· It is important to let your doctor know if you are taking: Astemizole, Terfenadine, Cisapride, Pimozide, Quinidine or Erythromycin.
· Fluconazole interacts with a lot of medicines including: other antifungals, certain antibiotics, medicines to reduce immunity, medicines for HIV, statins, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, some anti-depressants, blood thinners like Warfarin, oral contraceptives and others.
How to take Fluconazole :
· This medicine is intended for adults. Your doctor may prescribe it to a child if necessary.
· Take as indicated by your doctor.
· For genital infections, the recommended dosing is 150 mg as a single dose.
· For infections of the mouth and throat, the recommended dosing is 200 mg on the first day, followed by 100 mg once daily.
· For meningitis (swelling in the brain due to an infection), the recommended dosing is 400 mg on the first day then 200 mg to 400 mg once daily.
· For internal fungal infections, the recommended dosing is 800 mg on the first day then 400 mg once daily.
· For fungal skin and nail infections, depending on the site of the infection, the recommended dosing is 50 mg once daily, 150 mg once weekly, or 300 to 400 mg once weekly.
How to store Fluconazole:
· Store at room temperature 68 to 77°F (20 to 25°C).
· Keep this medicine out of reach of children.
· Do not use this medicine after the expiry date stated on the package. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.