Desogestrel 75 microgram film-coated tablets
What desogestrel is used for:
Desogestrel is used to prevent pregnancy. It contains a small amount of one type of female sex hormone, the progestogen desogestrel.
Do not use desogestrel:
• if you are allergic to desogestrel, or any of the other ingredients
• if you have a thrombosis
• if you have or have had jaundice (yellowing of the skin) or severe liver disease and your liver is still not working normally
• if you have or if you are suspected of having a cancer that grows under the influence of sex-steroids, such as certain types of breast cancer
• if you have any unexplained vaginal bleeding
Warnings and precautions:
Before you start tell your doctor or Family Planning Nurse, if
• you have ever had breast cancer
• you have liver cancer
• you have ever had a thrombosis
• you have diabetes
• you suffer from epilepsy
• you have tuberculosis
• you have high blood pressure
• you have or have had chloasma
Possible side effects:
Stop using the product and seek immediate medical attention if you develop throat tightness or swelling of the eyes, face, lips or tongue, feel faint, or have difficulty breathing. Stop using the product if you develop hives or itching of the face or body.
Other medicines and desogestrel:
Tell your doctor, pharmacist, or Family Planning Nurse if you are taking, have recently taken or might take any other medicines or herbal products.
These include medicines used for the treatment of:
• epilepsy (e.g. primidone, phenytoin, carbamazepine, oxcarbazepine, felbamate, topiramate and phenobarbital)
• tuberculosis (e.g. rifampicin, rifabutin)
• HIV infections (e.g. ritonavir, nelfinavir, nevirapine, efavirenz)
• Hepatitis C virus infection (e.g. boceprevir, telaprevir)
• or other infectious diseases (e.g. griseofulvin)
• high blood pressure in the blood vessels of the lungs (bosentan)
• depressive moods (the herbal remedy St. John’s Wort)
• certain bacterial infections (e.g. clarithromycin, erythromycin)
• fungal infections (e.g. ketoconazole, itraconazole, fluconazole)
• high blood pressure (hypertension), angina or certain heart rhythm disorders
How to use desogestrel:
Each strip of desogestrel contains 28 tablets :4 weeks supply.
Take your tablet each day at about the same time. Swallow the tablet whole, with water.
How to store desogestrel:
Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children.
Do not use after the expiry date which is stated on the package. The expiry date is the last day of the month stated.
This medicine does not require any special temperature storage conditions. Store the blister pack in the original sachet in order to protect from light and moisture. Use within 1 month from the date of first opening of the sachet.
The active substance shows an environmental risk to fish.
Do not throw away any medicines via wastewater or household waste.