Cyclopentolate hydrochloride 1 % eye drops
What cyclopentolate hydrochloride is used for:
It contains a mydriatic agent. It is used to enlarge the pupil of the eye and to paralyze the lens temporarily. Your doctor or eye specialist may use it to examine your eye more closely. These eye drops are also used to treat some types of inflammation of the eye. This medicine is not indicated for babies under 28 days old. However, your doctor or eye specialist can use it if he/she decides that it is necessary.
Do not use these drops:
• if you are allergic to the active substance (cyclopentolate hydrochloride) or any of the other ingredients
• if you have high pressure of liquid inside the eye (closed angle glaucoma)
• in babies under 28 days old (unless your doctor decides that it is necessary)
Warnings and precautions:
Take special care
Ask yourself the following questions:
• Are your eyes red or inflamed?
• Is it to be used in very young children (under 3 months old)?
• Are you very ill?
• Are you elderly?
If the answer to any of these questions is yes, tell your doctor or eye specialist.
Possible side effects:
Stop using the product and seek immediate medical attention if you develop throat tightness or swelling of the eyes, face, lips or tongue, feel faint, or have difficulty breathing. Stop using the product if you develop hives or itching of the face or body.
Other medicines and cyclopentolate hydrochloride:
How to use cyclopentolate hydrochloride:
• The normal adult dose is 1 or 2 drops of solution in each eye, as required. The administration of the drops can be repeated every 6-8 hours, depending on the treatment.
• The normal child dose (over 3 months old) is 1 drop of Cyclopentolate Hydrochloride 0.5% w/v in each eye. Children should be observed for 45 minutes after the administration of the drops.
How to store cyclopentolate hydrochloride:
-Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
-Do not use the eye drops after the expiry date which is stated on the overwrap of each unit and on the carton after the letters “EXP”. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
-Do not store above 25°C. Do not freeze. Store in the original package in order to protect from light.
-Once opened, use immediately.
-Discard any unused portion. Medicines should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste.