What Ciprofloxacin is used for:
Ciprofloxacin is used locally to treat superficial infections of the eye (affecting eyelids, conjunctiva and cornea) and infections of the external ear canal (otitis externa) caused by bacteria susceptible to this medicine’s action.
Do not use Ciprofloxacin:
· If you’re allergic to Ciprofloxacin or any other Fluoroquinolone antibiotic, or any component of this medicine.
Warnings & Precautions:
· Talk to your doctor about all your medical conditions before taking this drug.
· Do not use longer than you have been told. A second infection may happen.
· Remove contact lenses before applying the medicine in your eye
Possible Side Effects:
Stop using this product and seek immediate medical help if you develop rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Common side effects
· Irritation and discomfort on the site of application.
· Crystalline deposits in eye in patients with corneal ulcers.
· Bad taste following instillation.
· Headache when used in the ear.
Other medicines and Ciprofloxacin:
Tell your doctor about all the medicines you are taking.
How to use Ciprofloxacin:
· For external use only. The drops should be used on the eye or ear. The ointment should only be used on the eye.
· The ointment should not be used on children younger than 2 years of age.
· Take as indicated by your doctor.
· Wash your hands before and after use.
· Do not touch the container tip to the eye, lid, or other skin.
· For bacterial conjunctivitis (infection of eye conjunctiva), instill 2 drops in the affected eye every 2 hours while awake for 2 days then 1-2 drops every 4 hours while awake for the next 5 days.
· For corneal ulcer (ulcer on the eye): Instill 2 drops of the solution into affected eye every 15 minutes for the first 6 hours, then 2 drops into the affected eye every 30 minutes for the remainder of the first day. On day 2, instill 2 drops into the affected eye hourly. On day 3- 14, instill 2 drops into affected eye every 4 hours.
· For external ear canal infection, instill 0.25mL into affected ear twice daily for 7 days.
· For bacteria conjunctivitis, apply a 1/2 inch ribbon into the lower lid 3 times/day for the first 2 days, followed by a 1/2 inch ribbon applied twice daily for the next 5 days.
How to store Ciprofloxacin:
· Store at room temperature 68 to 77°F (20 to 25°C).
· Protect from light.
· Keep this medicine out of reach of children.
· Do not use this medicine after the expiry date stated on the package. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.