Ciprofloxacin 250 mg tablets
What Ciprofloxacin is used for
Ciprofloxacin is used to treat or prevent uncomplicated and complicated infections caused by bacteria susceptible to this medicine’s action.
Do not take Ciprofloxacin
• If you’re allergic to Ciprofloxacin or any other fluoroquinolone antibiotic, or any component of this medicine.
• If you are taking the medicine Tizanidine.
Warnings and precautions
Talk to your doctor about all your medical conditions before taking this drug including:
• If you have tendon problems.
• If you have heart problems, including heart failure or irregular heartbeats.
• If you have central nervous system problems such as epilepsy or seizures.
• If you have nerve problems.
• If you have kidney problems.
• If you have liver problems.
• If you have rheumatoid arthritis (RA) or other history of joint problems.
• If you have the disease Myasthenia Gravis.
• If you have diabetes.
• If you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, or breast-feeding.
This medicine may severely affect your tendons, joints and nerves system.
The risk of getting tendon problems is higher if you are over 60 years of age, are taking corticosteroids, or have had a kidney, heart, or lung transplant.
The risk of having joint problems is higher in children under the age of 18 years.
Possible side effects
Stop using this product and seek immediate medical help if you develop rash; hives; blisters; itching; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using this product and contact your doctor if you develop tendon problems such as pain and swelling.
Serious side effects:
• Tendon rupture or swelling
• Peripheral neuropathy (changes in sensation, risk of permanent damage)
• Central nervous system problems (dizziness, seizures…)
• Liver toxicity
• Irregular heart rhythm known as “QT prolongation”
• Worsening of Myasthenia Gravis
• Muscle and joint problems in children
Other medicines and Ciprofloxacin
• Tell your doctor about all the medicines you are taking. This medicine interacts with a lot of medications.
• Do not take Ciprofloxacin with Tizanidine, your blood pressure may get too low and you may get sleepy.
How to take Ciprofloxacin
• Take exactly as indicated by your doctor.
• Take this drug at the same time of day.
• Swallow the tablet whole. Do not split, crush or chew.
• Drink plenty of fluids while taking this medicine.
• Do not take this medicine with dairy products, like milk or yogurt, or calcium-rich juices.
• For adults, the usual dosing range is 250 – 750 mg every 12 hours.
• For children the dosing is usually done according to the child’s body weight in mg/kg/dose. It is usually between 10-20 mg/kg/dose every 12 hours.
How to store Ciprofloxacin
• Store at room temperature 68 to 77°F (20 to 25°C).
• Keep this medicine out of reach of children.
• Do not use this medicine after the expiry date stated on the package. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.