What Brinzolamide/timolol suspension is used for:
This eye drop is used to treat high pressure in the eyes, also called glaucoma or ocular hypertension, in adult patients that are more than 18 years of age and in whom high pressure in the eyes cannot be controlled effectively by one medicine alone.
Do not use Brinzolamide/timolol suspension:
• If you are allergic to brinzolamide, medicines called sulphonamides (examples include medicines used to treat diabetes, infections and also diuretics (water tablets)), timolol, betablockers (medicines used to lower blood pressure or to treat heart disease) or any of the other ingredients of this medicine
• If you have now or have had in the past respiratory problems such as asthma, severe long-lasting obstructive bronchitis (severe lung condition which may cause wheezing, difficulty in breathing and/or long-standing cough) or other types of breathing problems.
• If you have severe hay fever
• If you have a slow heartbeat, heart failure or disorders of heart rhythm (irregular heartbeats).
• If you have too much acidity in your blood (a condition called hyperchloremic acidosis).
• If you have severe kidney problems
Warnings and precautions:
You should tell your doctor if you have any of the following:
• coronary heart disease (symptoms can include chest pain or tightness, breathlessness or choking), heart failure, low blood pressure
• disturbances of heart rate such as slow heart beat
• breathing problems, asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
• poor blood circulation disease (such as Raynaud’s disease or Raynaud’s syndrome)
• diabetes as timolol may mask signs and symptoms of low blood sugar
• overactivity of the thyroid gland as timolol may mask signs and symptoms of thyroid disease
• muscular weakness (myasthenia gravis)
• tell your doctor before you have an operation that you are using it as timolol may change effects of some medicines used during anesthesia
• if you have a history of atopy (a tendency to develop an allergic reaction) and severe allergic reactions you may be more sensitive to developing an allergic reaction whilst using it and adrenaline may not be as effective to treat an allergic reaction
• if you have liver problems
• if you have dry eyes or cornea problems
• if you have problems with your kidneys
Possible Side Effects:
Like all medicines, Brinzolamide/timolol suspension can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. Stop using the product and seek immediate medical attention if you develop throat tightness or swelling of the eyes, face, lips or tongue, feel faint, or have difficulty breathing. Stop using the product if you develop hives or itching of the face or body.
Other medicines and Brinzolamide/timolol suspension
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking:
This eye drop can affect, or be affected by, other medicines you are taking, including other eye drops for the treatment of glaucoma. Tell your doctor if you are taking or intent to take medicines to lower blood pressure like parasympathomimetics and guanetidine, or other heart medicines including quinidine (used to treat heart conditions and some types of malaria), amiodarone or other medicines to treat heart rhythm disorders and glycosides to treat heart insufficiency. Also tell your doctor if you are taking or intend to take medicines to treat diabetes, or to treat gastric ulcers, antifungal, antiviral or antibiotic medicines, or antidepressants such as fluoxetine and paroxetine.
If you are taking another carbonic anhydrase inhibitor (acetazolamide or dorzolamide), talk to your doctor.
Increase in pupil size when using it and adrenaline (epinephrine) together has been reported occasionally.
How to use Brinzolamide/timolol suspension:
Always use this medicine exactly as your doctor or pharmacist has told you. Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
The recommended dose is:
One drop in the affected eye or eyes, twice a day.
Only use IT in both eyes if your doctor told you to. Take it for as long as your doctor told you to.
How to store Brinzolamide/timolol suspension:
Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children.
Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on the carton and label after ‘EXP’. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
Do not store above 25°C.
Discard within 28 days of opening.
Do not throw away any medicines via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to throw away medicines you no longer use. These measures will help protect the environment.
Brinzolamide/timolol 10 mg/ml + 5 mg/ml eye drops, suspension