Do not use Povidone Iodine:
- if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to Povidone Iodine or any of the other ingredients in this medicine
- if you currently have or have ever had a thyroid problem, including swelling (nodular colloid goiter, endemic goiter, or Hashimoto’s thyroiditis), as using this medicine in these circumstances can further affect the function of your thyroid
- if you are currently having lithium therapy for depression as this type of medicine can interact with Povidone Iodine to affect the function of your thyroid
- on children under two years of age.
Warnings and precautions:
- Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking using Povidone Iodine.
- if your skin is broken (for example, due to a burn) as using Povidone Iodine in these circumstances may cause toxic levels of iodine to be absorbed into your blood
- if you currently have or have ever had a kidney problem using Povidone Iodine in these circumstances may cause toxic levels of iodine to be absorbed into your blood.
Possible side effects:
Applying very large amounts of medicines containing Povidone Iodine, or using such products over a long period of time, can occasionally cause thyroid disorders (symptoms of which include weight loss, increased appetite and sweating or lacking energy and weight gain). Other effects that have been reported are increased amounts of acid in your blood (the main symptoms are shortness of breath, confusion and lethargy) and kidney failure (symptoms include difficulty in urinating, thirst and a dry mouth and pain in one side of your back).
Other medicines and Povidone Iodine:
Lithium (for depression) can interact with Povidone Iodine to affect the function of the thyroid gland. Therefore, simultaneous use should be avoided.
How to use Povidone Iodine:
For topical use on the skin only: Do NOT use Povidone Iodine inside your body.
Adults, the elderly and children over 2 years of age:
Apply directly to the affected area of skin once or twice daily as directed. Allow to dry, and cover with a dressing if desired.
How to store Povidone Iodine:
• Flammable: Store away from sources of ignition.
• Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
• Do not use Povidone Iodine after the expiry date stated on the label. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
• Store below 25°C.
* Dosage form and route of administration of Povidone Iodine Surgical Scrub 75 mg/ml, Povidone Iodine 25mg/g Topical Spray should be prescribed according to therapeutic indication and disease severity of each individual patient.